Donnerstag, 3. November 2016

New damascus neck knife blade

 This is what is going to be a Damascus neck whittler, some 70 mm long. I plan on fitting a bigger handle like on Scandi carving designs. The Damascus is made from file and spring steel and welded the dirty way by forging a spatula, rinsing with flux and then folding up to 62 or so layers (I lost count, it was just a welding practice). The piece below came off accidentally.
 Spine´s rather thick at 6 mm to zero, but will eventually get a lot thinner.
The blade will get a high convex bevel as usual. The tang will be left that way, for there are some welding flaws still, and that way it will provide a firm enough base. For a simple practice piece it cuts well enough just now, and there are no flaws in the blade so I guess it´ll do. I have a lot to learn still, but I am currently working under shitty circumstances, and I am a bit proud I made the most out of what was at hand.

Beliebte Posts